tнє ℓσνє σf ℓєαяnιng, tнє ѕєqυєѕtєяє∂ nσσкѕ αn∂ αℓℓ tнє ѕωєєt ѕєяєnιtу σf bσσкѕ. - нєηяу ωα∂ѕωσяtн ℓσngƒєℓℓσω
today 6/2/16 on aobibliosphere™ [aobibliospotlight™: A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart]

Monday, July 25, 2011

29 Book Lovin Bitches Ebook Tours guest post: darkhouse by Karina Halle

Darkhouse 

by Karina Halle

Darkhouse by Karina Halle
Paperback, 323 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Metal Blonde Books
ISBN: 9781461079859
There’s always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she’s been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twenty-something, she’s still not what you would call “ordinary.” For one thing, there’s her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there’s the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show’s budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle’s haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry’s fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems.
buy Darkhouse by Karina Halle: Amazon (Print) / Goodreads (epub) / Kindle

guest post by Karina Halle:

character interview of Perry Palomino and Dex Foray


Karina Halle takes a break from interviewing the usual musicians and talks with a pair of up-and-coming ghosthunters, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray.

Halle: So, tell me why you decided to do a ghost hunting show. Have you always had an interest in ghost hunting?

Foray: No.

Palomino: Not really. I mean, I liked scary movies and all that when I was younger but ghost hunting was never something that appealed to me. I didn’t even know it could be a career choice!

Halle: So then how did this come about?

Foray shrugs.

Palomino (giving him a look): Well, it’s a funny story. I was visiting my uncle’s place just outside of Cannon Beach and decided to go explore his lighthouse. I thought it would be fun to film the whole thing. So I broke inside and guess who I ran into?

Halle (pointing at Foray): This guy.

Palomino: Yup. Literally ran into him. He had broken in too. Decided he was going to get some footage of his own. See, I didn’t know the place was haunted but he did. Then we heard someone walking around on the floor above us. I didn’t know what to think. And this guy practically forced me to go upstairs to explore it. Against my will.

Foray (rolling his eyes): Oh, I did not. You totally could have run away, arms waving like Kermit the Frog. You chose to go upstairs with me.

Palomino (glaring at him): Well neither option seemed very appealing, now did it! Anyway, we went upstairs, weird shit happened, and then Dex here decided to just ditch me and leave me there.

Foray (smiling): I got all the footage I needed.

Palomino: Nice guy, right? Whatever. He contacted me a few days later all angry because I had uploaded my videos on to YouTube and cut him out of the pie. What pie? I didn’t even know the guy. Then he made a proposition. That we could go back to the lighthouse, re-record what happened there with me acting like the host of a ghost-hunting show and then submit that show as a demo to Shownet.

Halle: That’s an internet site, right?

Foray: Specializes in webisodes. You should check out Wine Babes. It’s our top webcast.

Palomino: Of course you’d say that, your girlfriend is in it.

Foray: I’m just saying. It is catered to Tap-Out guys who can’t tell the difference between red wine and white wine but there’s a lot of those douchebags out there.

Palomino: Pretty sure we’re here to talk about our show, Dex. You know, Experiment in Terror. The ghost-hunting series. Where I’m the host and you’re the cameraman.

Foray: And the editor, composer, producer and everything else important, kiddo.

Halle: I hate to interrupt your little, thing, you’ve got going on here, but we’re running out of time. Can you tell me about why your ghost-hunting show is better than, say, Paranormal State?

Foray (laughing): Because those shows are bullshit.

Palomino: What he means to say is that those TV shows have all been given the Hollywood treatment. Our show is real. Raw. When you see me freaking out, I am actually freaking out. Ghosts exist, they really do but not everyone can see them. And we know that. We aren’t crazy. We know you can’t capture a ghost on film, not really anyway, and we don’t pretend. All those other shows make something out of nothing. We don’t need to. You may see nothing most of the time, but whatever is happening to us is actually happening to us.

Halle: You must have trouble sleeping at night.

Palomino and Foray exchange an ominous look.

Palomino: You could say that.


excerpt from Darkhouse:

The house was empty when we came back in. It was only ten p.m. at this point, but it looked like the boys had gone out somewhere. It was Saturday night after all.

Even Uncle Al was presumed missing until I found a note he left on the kitchen table: “Gone to play poker at a friend's house.”

I was absolutely exhausted. Saturday night or not, all I could think about was going to bed and sleeping for the next couple of days. Only there were a few things we had to deal with first.

Dex and I stood in the dim kitchen looking at each other. It was kind of awkward. Neither of us knew what to do or what to say. I felt like if I tried, I would break down in tears. I was bordered with crazy town.

Dex sighed. “Well, I guess I should be going.”

“What? You can't go!” I couldn't help but cry out.

He glanced at the clock on the wall. “It's ten. I've still got to check in to the motel.”

He couldn't just leave me alone in this house after everything that happened. I felt the floodgates opening. I turned around and faced the fridge, trying not to blink and trying to control my breath. Dex was the last person I wanted to break down in front of. I wished I had a safety pin in my pocket so I could distract myself with a touch of pain.

“Hey,” I heard him whisper and come closer. I waited for him to put his hand on my shoulder, but he didn't. He just stood behind me, probably unsure of what to do, which was every man's response whenever a girl was crying.

But I wasn't crying. I was desperately trying to not let that happen. I sucked in my breath through pursed lips and regained control of my teasing tears. I was a tough cookie. I just had to suck it up.

I turned around and looked at him. I smiled what must have been a very brave but very fake smile. I knew my eyes were moist and fearful, not matching up with my grin at all.

He was staring at me, not looking as confused as I thought he might be, but curious.

“OK,” I said. “You go check in. We'll meet in the morning and head back to Portland.”

He took another step closer, those relentless eyes searching mine for something, anything, that would satisfy him.

“Is that what you want?” he asked.

No. It wasn't.

“I'm sorry I ruined your show, Dex,” I said meekly.

He stared at the ground for a second and shook his head. “You shouldn't apologize. It's not very becoming of you.”

He looked up. “Besides, it's not my show. It's our show. Everything isn’t lost yet, kiddo.”

Everything isn’t lost yet. Where had I heard that before?

“Say that again?”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

I could see that he didn't believe it was nothing, but he let it slide. He looked around.

“Do you want me to stay here tonight?” he asked. There was no hesitation in his voice.

Of course, I wanted him to stay. I would have asked anyone to stay.

“This will sound stupid,” I began, “but do you mind staying until Uncle Al or the twins get home? You can just hang out here, watch whatever you like, play video games. I'll go to sleep in the other room. I just don't want to be alone right now.”

He nodded. “Sure.”

I felt bad for asking and for preventing him from checking in. “I'm sorry, it's just...I can't even begin to explain what I saw out there. I—”

He took a step towards me, shaking his head. “Don't. Don't explain. I want to hear it, but we can discuss it in the morning. And please don't apologize either. That's a weakness, not a strength. I don't need your apology. In fact, none of this would have happened if I hadn't left your side, so I'm the one who is sorry.”

“Dex, it was dark—”

“And so, anyway, you can see why I don't mind having to stay here for a few hours.”

“OK,” I smiled. The relief that was pouring through my body was amazing. “Thank you,” I said, starting towards the spare room, “and good night.”

“I'll be here if you need anything,” he called after me.

I paused at the door to the room before closing it behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know that he was still there.

 

about the author Karina Halle:

her books – in both paperback and e-format - are available at Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Powell’s Books and more.

Karina’s sadly neglected personal blog can be found here: www.ontheblogbandwagon.blogspot.com

buy Darkhouse by Karina Halle: Amazon (Print) / Goodreads (epub) / Kindle



i would like to thank Karina Halle for guest posting today and to thank you as well for stopping by.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...