The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing
by Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards
format: Trade paperback
price: $16.95 print, $4.99 ebook
publisher: Twilight Times Books
|The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing|
If you’re an experienced reviewer, The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing will serve as an excellent reference tool and amalgam of resources. If you’re a beginner, this book will show you how to write a well-written, honest, objective and professional book review. It will also teach you:
- How to read critically
- How to differentiate the various types of reviews
- How to rate books
- How to prevent amateurish mistakes
- How to deal with the ethics and legalities of reviewing
- How to tell the difference between a review, a book report, and a critique
- How to start your own review site
- How to publish your reviews on dozens of sites and even make money while you’re at it, and much more
If you’re an author, publisher, publicist, bookseller, librarian, or reader, this book will also bring to light the importance and influence of book reviews within a wider spectrum.
what reviewers are saying:
“There’s not a reviewer out there that wouldn’t benefit from this review of reviewing… this is a great reference book for libraries…”
– Heather Shaw, Editor-in-Chief, ForeWord Magazine
“This book from Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards is the first ‘Reviewer’s Desk Reference’ for book reviewers at all levels.”
–reviewed by Ernest Dempsey, The World Audience
“As an experienced reviewer I learned that I do not know it all and will keep my copy of The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing for reference. It is not a book I will loan out because it won’t be returned…If you want to break into book reviewing, The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing is a must-have reference. Heed the author’s advice and you can write reviews that will get you and the books you review noticed.”
– reviewed by Sharon Broom, Armchair Interviews
“The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing is a useful took for both amateur and professional book reviewers, as well as book review editors. There should be no doubt that the good tips, thoughtful perspective and resource information can be of considerable value to anyone wishing to practice this art.”
– reviewed by Emily-Jane Hills Orford, Allbooks Reviews
“I do recommend The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing as a must-have resource guide. Calvani and Edwards present a well-written gold-mine to potential reviewers as well as a source of information for experienced reviewers and authors.”
– reviewed by Irene Watson, Reader Views
“The Slippery Art… is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in book reviews – writers, reviewers, publishers, publicists, librarians, booksellers and readers.”
– reviewed by Francine Silverman, Editor of The Book Promotion Newsletter
- ForeWord Best Book of the Year Award Winner under the Writing Category!
- 2011 Global Ebooks Awards Winner for Nonfiction/Reference!
- US Book News National Best Book Award Finalist!
- Next Generation Indie Book Award Finalist!
- EPPIE Award Finalist!
- used for reviewing course at 3 US universities and 1 university in the Netherlands
where to purchase the book:
for more information, visit:
about the authors:
Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. she’s had over 300 stories, articles, interviews and reviews published both online and in print, in publications such as The Writer, Writer's Journal, Acentos Review, Bloomsbury Review, Mosaic, and Multicultural Review, among many others. a reviewer for more than a decade, she now offers numerous book reviewing workshops online. she also offers workshops on the art of picture book writing. she's represented by Mansion Street Literary and Savvy Literary. visit her website at www.MayraCalvani.com
Anne K. Edwards is an award-winning multi-genre author, reviewer and editor of Voice in the Dark Ezine. her latest novel is the suspense thriller, Shadows Over Paradise, published by Twilight Times Books. visit her website at www.AnneKEdwards.com