tнє ℓσνє σf ℓєαяnιng, tнє ѕєqυєѕtєяє∂ nσσкѕ αn∂ αℓℓ tнє ѕωєєt ѕєяєnιtу σf bσσкѕ. - нєηяу ωα∂ѕωσяtн ℓσngƒєℓℓσω
today 6/2/16 on aobibliosphere™ [aobibliospotlight™: A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart]

Sunday, September 30, 2012

04 Novel Publicity: Bluff by Lenore Skomal


Lenore Skomal's spellbinding narrative is told primarily from the hospital bed of protagonist Jude Black, who plumbs the psychological and emotional depths of a life wasted--hers. Pregnant and in a coma, she lives in that in-between, twilight place teetering on death but clinging to life in order to bring her baby into this world. Only she knows the circumstances surrounding her mysterious fall off the bluff that landed her in the hospital, being kept alive by medical intervention. Only she knows the father of her baby--a fact that baffles her closest friend, Frances, the only one who knows of Jude's homosexuality and reclusive lifestyle. Jude and her baby become the focal point of this poignantly-crafted mystery, which threatens to reveal everyone's deceptions. And make no mistake, everyone involved is lying. The decision must be made to pull the plug and essentially end Jude's life or keep her on life-sustaining equipment in the hopes that she will regain consciousness mother her child.

Essential human questions such as the morality of suspending life support, the viability and consciousness of those in altered states and when exactly death occurs are also woven into this novel. Several shocking plot twists are artfully sewn into the fabric of this literary novel to keep the reader riveted. While embroidered with the intricacies of subplots, at the core of is the study of a tragically misunderstood woman who finds peace, acceptance, understanding and even love on her deathbed. In the end, the bluff is revealed and readers are satisfied knowing that justice is served. Almost. You won't be able to put this book down.


"From the first few pages of Bluff, we were hooked. Lenore Skomal keeps you guessing and wanting more. The characters have stayed with us and we can't wait for a sequel!
- Blue Stockings Society

Bluff raises vital questions about the nature of our human spirit. This compelling story is a must read. You won’t be able to put this book down.
- Sylvia Browne, bestselling author & spiritual teacher

Lenore Skomal is a powerful writer and a big talent. Her words will stir your heart.” 
- Al Zuckerman, author & founder, Writer’s House: A Literary Agency, New York City 

“We do not technically characterize your sister’s condition as a coma. We believe that she is in a persistent vegetative state, which we sometimes call a wakeful coma, and PVS for short, like I just told you. Physiologically, her brain has been severely damaged. The function of the cerebrum or the upper part of the brain has been impaired, as has the cortex or the outer layer of the cerebrum. This outer part is believed to be responsible for our conscious activity. Damage to both most likely was caused by the trauma to her head caused by the fall,” he explained, trying not to sound patronizing.
It worked. April’s face loosened.
“However, your sister’s brain stem, the lower part connected to her spine, is still functioning. Coma patients often have brain stem damage, which renders them unconscious and without the same physical functions that your sister has because the brain stem controls involuntary functions like breathing, digestion and reaction to pain. Even blinking and sleep-wake cycles. You know, that type of thing,” he continued. “As a result, PVS patients like your sister have periods of sleep and wakefulness. They flinch from pain and may react to noise or follow movement with their eyes. But their responses are of limited duration and seem to lack purpose.”
“So, she’s not brain dead,” April asked flatly, as if somehow disappointed.
“No, she is far from brain dead. She has partial brain function. Right now, she is in a wake cycle. Notice how her eyes are open and her mouth is moving,” he said pointing to me, as if on display—the poster child for PVS. I didn’t realize my mouth was moving. Learn something new every time this guy talks.
“Watch this. She can respond to certain stimulus. She will grasp my hand when touched and it will appear that this is a voluntary response.”
With that, he walked over to my bed and said, “Hi there, Jude” and then placed his thick hand in mine.
A sensation shot through my arm. Nothing replaced the human touch. Oh, did it feel wonderful. The feel of flesh upon flesh was one of the things I missed the most. Even though I was not a touchy person by nature, Frances was. She was forever hugging me and grabbing my arm when we walked together. I guess not having that skin-on-skin feeling underscored its importance. Elated, I felt I could jump up and run around the room.
Personal touch had become so unfamiliar to me in the short time I was there. When I was touched, it was  merely the function of cleaning my body and adjusting my limbs for physical therapy. Seems as time has gone by, people rarely just touch me, stroke my head or hold my hand. I wanted them to want to feel close to me. Frances had been the only one to consistently hold my hand since I’d been admitted. While Jeffries and some of the nurses were good about talking to me as if I were mute, and once in a while, patting my hand or rubbing my arm, there was no prolonged touching.
But this was a demonstration. I had forgotten. As he slid his hand into mine, I watched as my hand reflexively folded around his, without any effort on my part. I seemed to have vacated my own body right after the fall. Now it belonged to this automaton that responded mindlessly to stimuli and reacted instinctively. I was reminded I was no longer in control.
I longed for him to keep it there, but he abruptly pulled away.
Demonstration over.
The tears welled up inside me, but of course nothing emerged. It had been a long time since I felt like crying, and now, even if I wanted to, I couldn’t. April stood absorbed in the moment, consciously taking it all in.
There you have it, April. Now you know. I could have explained it much better myself if I could have actually talked. To my way of thinking, it was a simple matter of being fully cognitive and aware but simply not being able to move. It’s like I’m paralyzed all over, including on the inside, I wanted to tell her. It’s like being frozen, yet hearing everything, seeing everything, and at the same time being completely ignored. Sometimes I am here, connected to this cumbersome flesh; other times, I drift in an unknown place, my sense of self slowly vanishing—no, no, merging into nothingness. Hard to describe, but so very natural to accept.

book links:
about the author:

Lenore Skomal
Lenore Skomal wants you to eat her books. she wants you to chew them in your teeth, savor them on your tongue, breathe them in, and feel her words in your skin. her passionate desire is to touch your heart, inspire you, and luxuriate in the world of the written word. she finds ecstasy in constructing a perfect sentence and responds willingly to the nagging ache in her heart to create an authentic experience for the reader. Lenore is an award-winning author with the single goal of being heard.

winner of multiple awards for blogging, literature, biography and humor, Lenore Skomal's catalogue spans many genres. with 30 years of writing experience, over 17 books published and a daily blog, the consistent themes in her work are the big issues the human experience and adding depth and voice to the intricacies involved in living a multi-dimensional existence. Skomal has won several Society of Professional Journalist Awards, Whidbey Island Writer's Conference honorable mention for best fiction, Writer's Digest 73rd Annual Fiction Contest, New York Public Library's Best Books for Teens 2003, and the Next Generation Indie Book Award for humor. from journalism, to literary fiction, to humor and biography, Skomal's writing is consistent, if not in genre, then in message.

as a member of the world community, Skomal is excited by the opportunities presented in today's publishing climate. now, not only can she spend her time traveling internationally and experiencing cultural events like a Lakota Sweat Lodge, she shares these experiences directly with her readers in hopes of resonating with them and underscoring that no one is alone.

in addition to writing, Lenore is an engaging public speaker with over 1000 public engagements, book tours and writing seminars. she has taught college journalism, has one son, and when not off gallivanting from Egypt to Mongolia she resides with her husband in Erie, Pennsylvania.

follow her on the web:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...