today’s feature showcases Weirder, a novelette by guest blogger Chad Schimke. he is the author of two novels, Picker and Pieces along with two novelettes, Walker and Weirder.
A young magician joins a bearded lady’s traveling carnival. He becomes an apprentice to an old-fashioned performer in the vaudevillian tradition. The mettle of each sideshow freak is tested along the way, leading to a conclusion that compels fright and horror. What is normal? It’s human nature to look down disparagingly on anyone that’s different or unusual. But, the human oddity draws a crowd; spectators recoil in horror, drawn in with morbid fascination, openly staring at the deformed, who can’t look and can’t look away.
review from The Library Thing:
“It's odd, it's weird, and it gets, you guessed it, even "Weirder." I loved this book; just like the title suggests, it is a bit weird to read, but the story is good, and off at times, but a wonderful addition to my slightly off collection. I would highly recommend it for teen boys - in that weird moment kind of read. Love it. Keep it up!”
about the author:
Why do I write? Having lived a full life, I reached a tipping point. Right now, I am overflowing. I write because I have no choice but to write. My growing up years were spent in Northwestern New Mexico. In a landscape of ancient puebloans, criminal minds, a uranium boom and UFO’s. Where there were early signposts to a writing life. Now I live in San Francisco, my adopted hometown, which is the vibrant city that inspires my work.
Where do my characters come from? All of them are shreds of truth borrowed (joined, dissected, rearranged, etc.) from real people. I have met every imaginable eccentric along the way. From the meathead bodybuilder, to a wealthy social climber, afterward a loudmouthed drag queen, then a notorious gang leader and finally a leggy brunette beauty in a skirt and heels.
What do I write? My books are occult paranormal that mix and match genre. I love crime, fantasy, horror and science fiction.
What’s next? I am currently working on a new novel that will be a paranormal action thriller. With identical twins, identity switches, secret clues, a haunted hotel and a twist ending. After that I am working on a serialized set of connected stories about spiritualism. With an Ouija board, tarot cards, a medium’s séance and a fortune teller machine.
- Amazon Author Central
- .99¢ sale
- Don't miss your chance to read the Kindle edition of Picker, my 5 star paranormal crime thriller!
- Check out my blog for occult paranormal novels, crime dramas, art installations and city life with updated content, free PDF and MP3 downloads, multi-media mash-ups, art assemblages, video/ audio author interviews and a tour of noir San Francisco.
- Sign up for physical book contests and promo updates.
- I collaborate with the artist Solis for cover images and involvement in the city’s eclectic arts community.
- I organize a weekly creative writer’s critique group that reads each other’s selections to provide written and verbal critique feedback.
i would like to say thank you to author Chad Schimke for guest posting today and to you as well for stopping by.